This is the first attempt at a Kit-themed podcast, so I hope you enjoy it. In this episode we discuss the beautiful home kits of the Canadian Premier League, courtesy of Macron.
Note: This episode will appear in your Vocal Minority podcast feed until we get enough of these to move it to it’s own standalone show.
- Allan Gorman, @offsidetwice, President of Barton St. Battalion
- Kristin Knowles, @kzknowles, host of the Vocal Minority Podcast
- Brenton Walters, @capsoffside, 2014 Memorial Park South Monday night rec league champion, spring season
Kit Nerd Corner Ep 001 document with images of the kits discussed (source canpl.ca) [8MB PDF]
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
April 8, 2019
Very good podcast, and thanks for the appendix images.
Not sure if you saw my (mostly negative) comment on these kits from an earlier post, but given some time, here are a few more thoughts on the home kits:
– Overall, I’m not a fan of the images on the players’ butts. I get what they’re trying to do here, but most of them look too silly for me.
– I still think the Halifax home kit is the best one. It’s very classy and interesting.
– The other home kits that I generally like are Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton, in that order. The little touches for Winnipeg’s that you discuss in the podcast set it a bit higher than the others for me.
– York 9’s home kit has grown on me, and I don’t despise it as much as you guys. But I agree that maybe it would be better as an away kit. The nine stripes idea is something though. And as far as bullshitty marketing concepts thrown on a jersey infographic go – 9 beams rising actually makes sense for this team. So I’m kinda ok with this one.
– I’m afraid that I actively dislike the orange Hamilton kit and the purple Pacific FC kits, even though you guys were much more positive on them (particularly Pacific FC). I maintain that even though Hamilton’s is orange and not red, it really looks like a walking Tim Hortons cup. And the shorts are grey, which I just don’t think makes for a nice overall look. But full orange is taken I guess. For Pacific, I think if the purple shade is darker (as in some of the images), it might be a little better, but I’m just not feeling this one. The trident still looks too much like it’s rising from the crotch, and is just weird. Way better than their away kit at least.
Anyway we all have our own tastes! I think there is a lot of nice variety going on here, compared to MLS kits when TFC debuted, and a lot of these are much nicer than the boring TFC kit we have now. Pretty good job, and wow this CPL thing is starting to seem pretty real now!
Thanks for reading and looking forward to Part 2.
April 9, 2019
Thank you for the kind words. We’ve been beyond surprised at the feedback thus far.
I think overall, the kits, even at its worst, is far better than the average MLS kit, and we can really thank those awful white ones for weighing down the average.
I’ve been mostly surprised reading the reactions across all of the kits, where some people absolutely adore the Hamilton orange kit, and others pan it. Some people adore the Pacific kit, and others aren’t nearly as enthusiastic. The universal truth seems to be Halifax home is the class of the league and there’s definitely something for every taste. My wife insists that York 9 is the best looking team in the league (I’ve nearly spoken to a lawyer to draw up papers, but my stance has softened)!
Part 2 will be up shortly. Thanks for listening and the feedback.