Toronto FC vs Sporting KC: Will The Sporks Put The Fork In TFC’s Season?
Toronto FC vs Sporting KC ~ 830pm ET ~ Children’s Mercy Park ~ TSN4
TFC must just want this week to be over; they’ve already lost three matches in a row, they’re about to play their third match in the space of a week, and they’re playing on the road against a team they’ve had little success against. At least it’s a night game so they can watch the world cup matches – silver linings, right?
It’s tough to be a Toronto FC fan (or player I’d imagine) right now – it’s frustrating to watch your team be this bad (demolished by the Loons? Really?), knowing that in reality this is a good team, it’s a very good team that for whatever reason cannot seem to get its act together. Injuries, CCL hangover, a curse by the footy gods – pick your reason, it doesn’t negate the fact that Toronto are doing their level best to throw away this season after the stars aligned for last year’s glory.
Tonight’s match against the Sporks has all the makings of another shellacking – SKC are one of the top teams in the west, TFC have only won once against them in KC in their history, and who’s available (*cough Victor Vazquez cough*) is still up in the air. The former Wiz are one of the teams we at the VMP love to hate; they’re just so irritating.
- Stop. Conceding. Early. Seriously, stop it. Enough of games where TFC are the better side but have to dig themselves out of a hole .
- Seba Things – Seba had a very nice goal on Wednesday against the Loons, we (he) need more of that.
- Stop trying to score pretty goals, get some sloppy ones, just bang the damn ball into the net.
- Defense. Remember how to play it. This has been the hallmark of this team the past couple years and it’s fallen by the wayside. Yes they’re without Moor and Mavinga, but these are not first time defenders – guys you know how to do this!
- Midfield. I know we’re missing Vazquez’s dynamic ways – plus the fact that he plays in the Matrix – the other guys have got to be more alert & decisive. Remember those lovely games from Delgado? What’s happening with him? Also, why not give Jay Chapman some minutes – when he’s good, he’s such an asset to the team.
- Don’t concede early. I know I already mentioned that but it bears repeating.
On thy bright side, the Sporks are missing two of their leading scorers for tonight’s match; Dániel Salloi is suspended and Felipe Gutierrez is out injured – that should help a bit. Of course they have a pretty solid defence and one of the best keepers in the league on Tim Melia so I’m not celebrating too much. Both grand are coming off midweek losses; SKC would like to take top spot in the West back, and TFC just want some points – honestly a draw at this point will suffice. This is a tough month for Toronto, I’m hopeful they figure some things out and quickly, but still calling for a 3-1 loss tonight – I’d really like to be wrong.